Virginia Storytelling Gathering
“Going Higher, Digging Deeper”
Saturday March 9, 2019 9:00am–Late
Church of the Holy Comforter, 4819 Monument Avenue, Richmond
From looking at our membership list we know that most VASA members are not beginner storytellers. To serve you, then, this year’s Gathering Workshop day is designed to offer you opportunities for you to get better at the storytelling craft. We are not offering ‘how to tell a story’ workshops or ‘where to find material’ workshops. We know you know both of those things.
The first part of the Workshop day is designed to ‘take you to a higher level’ in your storytelling. We will focus on receiving and incorporating storytelling feedback; on listening with an ear to help a teller improve; and on principles of story coaching.
The second part of the Workshop day is story coaching. Using the listening and feedback skills presented in the morning, along with the skills of experienced coaches, the afternoon session will provide you a chance to take you ‘deeper’ in telling and listening. In a small group, you will be able to tell a story and get specific feedback to make your story better. You will also be able to listen to stories and practice good story coaching.
Culpeper Tells has dissolved, so there is no festival this year. This means that the Gathering can be anywhere in the state. We have been offered free space at Church of the Holy Comforter, Richmond. We hope to see you in Richmond in March for this one-day Gathering, a new format for us.
Friday March 8, 7:00pm
Optional story show & VASA Swap
Plant Zero, 4th & Hull Streets, Richmond
Saturday March 9, 9:00am
The Gathering is concentrated into a single day (workshops, coaching, & Annual Meeting).
Where: Church of the Holy Comforter, 4819 Monument Avenue, Richmond
Cost: $25/member. $45/non-member. $40/joining member.
- Pay online Gathering tickets and information
Lunch options also available on-line. Vegetarian and non-veg. $15.00/person.
- Pay at the event. Credit cards and cash accepted.
Lunch not available if you pay at the event.
Lodging – You are on your own.
Housing linkups possible: Write to Norris Spencer ASAP:firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-428-8501
- if you live in the Richmond area and are willing to host another VASA member.
- if you live outside of the Richmond area and would like to stay with a local VASA member, or at a hotel nearby.
Friday March 8
- 7:00pm – Stories Matter! Showcase at Plant Zero (4th & Hull Streets, Richmond)
- Free if you attend The Gathering on Saturday (normally $10)
- 8:15pm – until we’re tired VASA Story Swap
Saturday March 9
Church of the Holy Comforter (4819 Monument Avenue)
Coaches: Ruth Walkup and Jennifer Einolf
- 9:00–12:30 – Going Higher – large group workshop; materials provided
- 12:30-1:15 – Lunch
- 1:15-2:45 – Annual Meeting
- 2:45-4:15 – Digging Deeper – small-group coaching; bring a story you want to improve.
- 4:15-4:30 – Closing of the day
- 5:30-late – Dinner and Swap – Plant Zero (4th & Hull Streets); we’ll order pizza; pay then.
Sign up here
General: Gayle Turner, email@example.com, 804.243.1001
Lodging: Norris Spencer, firstname.lastname@example.org, 757.428.8501
Workshops/Coaching: Ruth Walkup, email@example.com